Monday, June 28, 2010

Void - Potion For Bad Dreams (Unreleased LP from 1983/84)


The few people I've met who have heard this unreleased album have conflicting views. I myself had not heard this until recently when I stumbled upon a copy online. As amazing as the split with the Faith and the Condensed Flesh 7" recordings are, they definitely leave a desire for more Void so I was eager to give the album a listen and also satisfy my curiosity as to why it wasn't released. Most of the critics of this album allege that it sounds like mediocre heavy metal. It's important to look at the direction alot of hardcore was taking at the time when this was recorded which I think helps put the album in perspective. These songs might initially shock Void fans expecting the pure hardcore of Condensed Flesh and Void/Faith. Indeed they show Void moving in a heavily metal-influenced direction, but I think it's obvious to anyone who looks at this era of hardcore it's understandable why. Everyone from Gang Green to SSD to Discharge were all moving in a metallic direction whether it be slowing down or taking on a full thrash metal sound which had been influenced by hardcore to begin with. If you're also a fan of metal this didn't necessarily equate bad material, but some hardcore bands did undeniably suffer going in this direction. By the 90s the metallic influence on hardcore and crossover was full blown, but that's another discussion entirely. I think the reason why Potion for Bad Dreams met such strong backlash was that a metallic turn in sound was least expected from a band on a label like Dischord or a band that so perfectly embodied hardcore as Void. This 'metallic' version of Void I find to be actually quite good, and I find it to actually be more akin to Rudimentary Peni than any 'butt metal.' As a matter of fact, it's hypocrisy for this album to be unreleased when Dischord put Scream's later albums out which sound alot more 'butt metal' than anything on Potion of Bad Dreams. There's definitely some shredding going on but a song like "Bloodlust" is right up there with "Organized Sports" or "Who Are You?" as far as I'm concerned. Maybe if Void had released a proper full length hardcore LP of their signature sound fans would be more satisfied and be open to the different sound of this album. Either way I'm possibly in the minority on this one but I'd reccomend this album if you can find a copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment